Sunday, September 20, 2009

A little update

So life has been a little crazy the last few months. Andrea, Declan and I are happy to announce the safe arrival of Rhys Michael Davies into our family. He was born on August 4th and is a gorgeous little boy. Declan has been amazing with him thus far and I am so incredibly proud of how he has handled the massive changes in his life. He no longer is the only little one in our family and we were slightly worried how this would go over. I am happy to report that he has taken it all in stride and has also taken to his big brother duties very well. He gets blankets and diapers when we ask and tries to show his baby brother everything!

Rhys is having some issues with being a little yellow. He is now 7 weeks old and is still jaundiced but the doctors don’t seem to be too concerned with it. He also is colicky which has not been fun for Andrea. I think that we were spoiled with how easy it was with Declan. Other than a couple of nights that were really tough he was very laid back and chill. Rhys does not take a soother so he suckles Andrea for comfort which must be awful after a while. Andrea has been wonderful throughout all of this. I have said if before and it bears repeating; the capacity for love, understanding and patience that I see in her during difficult times is superhuman. The grace in which she deals with both of our sons and their needs is saintly. We are truly lucky.

Declan is now sleeping in his big-boy bed. He stays in pretty much all night and has only fallen out of bed once. He still tosses a lot in his sleep so I generally check on him before I go to bed to make sure he still in a position that is safe for the night. He has also been getting much better at using the toilet which is great! We were out for dinner a few weeks ago and he told us that he had to go pee so he and I rushed to the bathroom. In all honesty I expected him to have gone since we had a bit of a walk to get there but once I put him on the toilet we waited about half a minute and he went! He was so happy and I was so proud of him! Once he finished and washed up he gave me a high five and we went to tell Mummy. A very successful day.

Last week we went as a family to Eli’s hockey game. It was Declan’s first game and all he wanted to see was the “hockey guys”. He and I sat in the arena while Andrea and Rhys sat in the warm area with Aunt Sara. He loved it! He cheered and clapped and learned the term “uncle Eli is on the bench” which made me laugh. All in all it was a great night and I am looking forward to doing it again.

That’s it for now. I am going to try and be more diligent in updating in the future.

No comments: