Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gooooaaaal!!

So about year ago I decided that I wanted to get back into playing soccer. I have always loved the game and was considered pretty good when I was younger. Now, I figure that I am about 2 years out from playing Old Timers soccer and I wanted to get my feet wet by starting in a league that is relatively chill.

Enter Average Joe Sports. What a great idea! This is a league that is made up of people like me who haven't played in a long time, if ever. I have been playing for about a year and I have to admit I love it. I have a great team and have even had the chance to play with Declan's Godfather Robbie.

I admit that some mornings are more difficult than others. I have had a handful of days where I have been stiff getting out of bed. This morning was the perfect example. I have developed a heel spur as well as some pain in my knees and they were both acting up. I think that I am officially old! Oh well, it's worth it.

One of the best feelings that I have had playing soccer so far has been hearing Declan shouting from the stands for me and the team. I have fond memories of watching my Dad play when I was a kid and having my sons there watching me is such a lovely feeling.

Heck, I have even scored a couple of goals since I have been playing. Not bad for a guy who spent his whole childhood playing defence and never really crossing mid-field!

No comments: