Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

So I guess it was inevitable. The time of the year has come again for the Christmas Cartoon to rear it's head. Tonight the Grinch is on and I for one can't wait to sit on the couch with Declan and watch this classic.

Last year we tried it but I think he was a bit too young still. So we will try again this year with The Grinch, Frosty, Rudolph and Charlie Brown.

I get sentimental at Christmas and think about sitting on the floor of my parents house in Dundas. We would have our baths and sit in front of the fire to dry off while watching Mickey's Christmas Carol or How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

These memories always seem to carry me into the season. I remember the storm windows in our bedrooms had three or four little holes in the frame that were covered by a piece of wood that was able to be removed. I would lift it up in the cold of the winter and breathe in the sharp air, watch the crystals form on the windows and write my name on the glass.

We would either go to the tree farm to pick out our tree or the lot but it was always a Scotch Pine with big spiky needles. These years my parents have moved to a different type of tree and whenever I see it I think that they are being traitors to my memories. How odd.

These days we have created our own Christmas memories. We decorate the tree, fake out of necessity because of specific allergies, and I watch Declan's face as the lights are turned on. This year will be interesting because Rhys will be much more mobile and will begun to feel the excitement that we do.

Hopefully this year we will have time to make Christmas as special as it can be for the boys. I am looking forward to reading Twas the Night Before Christmas and being surprised by the presents. And if we are lucky maybe having some snow on the ground for a Christmas Day toboggan ride!

No comments: